Monday, September 7, 2009

Sweetly broken, wholly surrender


          When I was three years old I went to the Easter musical at our church and I can vividly remember crying when I saw Jesus on the cross; burdened with the sin and sorrows of the world. It was at that moment I actually got it. I understood that this man was suffering for me; at least I understood it to the extent that any three year old could. Somehow over the next several years throughout my adolescence I seemed to have forgotten what my Savior had done for me. Then it was like all of a sudden those eyes of a child were reopened and I was broken as I comprehended how my Lord suffered for me and the life I was living was anything but worthy of that sin he paid. It was in the fall of last year that I stopped running. I was convicted. I was made new. I fell in love. A love that cannot be described with mere words; an overwhelming feeling of contentment, peace, an almost stillness.
          At church on Sunday there was a video featuring Jeremy Riddle’s “Sweetly Broken” and that amazing feeling of love and awe came washing over me. My roommate had introduced me to that song last year and the lyrics really spoke to me; they weren’t just words set to music, they felt like the words that were placed on my heart. I would much rather be sweetly broken than “have it all together" because its when I lose myself that I finally find myself in the One who matters most.

Jeremy Riddle - Sweetly Broken
To the cross I look, to the cross I cling
Of its suffering I do drink
Of its work I do sing
For on it my Savior
Both bruised and crushed
Showed that God is love and God is just
At the cross You beckon me
You draw me gently to my knees
And I am lost for words
So lost in love
I’m sweetly broken
Wholly surrendered
What a priceless gift, undeserved life
Have I been given through Christ crucified
You’ve called me out of death
You’ve called me into life
And I was under Your wrath
Now through the cross I’m reconciled
In awe of the cross I must confess
How wondrous Your redeeming love
And how great is Your faithfulness

No comments:

Post a Comment